Sunday, May 15, 2011

A Caution on Freedom

Cautionary note to the Tea Party:
"The genius of the American system is not freedom; the genius of the American system is checks and balances. Nobody gets all the power. Everybody is watching everybody else. It is as if the founding fathers knew, intrinsically, that the soul of man, unwatched, is perverse."
(page 18 of Donald Miller's book "Blue Like Jazz")

OK, here's another, from two pages later:
"...it did me no good to protest America's responsibility in global poverty when I wasn't even giving money to my church, which has a terrific homeless ministry."

Update: One more great quote, from page 220:
"Nobody will listen to you unless they sense that you like them."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! Feel free to disagree, but please try not to be disagreeable about it. Like my dad, I'm often wrong, but never in doubt.