Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Stuff mom and dad said

Nine years ago, in the original version of this blog, I posted some sayings of my Dad. Today I found myself remembering two from Mom:

"You'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

and

"If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."


Update: Mom also said

"Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies."

and

"Of all the things I've loved and lost, I miss my mind the most." 

and

"November too has its beauties."

and

'Faults are thick when love is thin."

Here again are the ones from Dad:

"Another good story spoiled by an eyewitness."

"Never let the facts interfere with a good story."

"It's no harder to arrive on time than to arrive late."

"It costs no more to keep the gas tank full than it does to keep it empty."

"You can want what you want, but your get what you get."

"Never borrow except for your first car and first home."

"Graft, inefficiency and corruption run rife."

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be."

"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride."

"...and if I had wings, I could fly."

"Experience keeps a dear school, where only fools need learn.
And yet the lessons taught there are taught exceedingly well."

"Never lend any more money to friends or relatives than you would be willing to give them as a gift."

"Well ain't that a fine kettle of fish?"

"That's a lazy man's load."

"Fish and guests spoil after three days."

"Just one more thing to go wrong."

"If it had been a snake, it would have bit you."

"A difference of opinion is what makes a horse race."

"A place for everything, and everything in its place."

"Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick."

"He who pays the piper calls the tune."

Said OF Dad, rather than by him:

"Often wrong, but never in doubt."

(Hat tip to Ben Franklin for at least two of these.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! Feel free to disagree, but please try not to be disagreeable about it. Like my dad, I'm often wrong, but never in doubt.