Saturday, March 16, 2013
John Stauber has an interesting new article in Counterpunch: Paid to Lose - The Progressive Movement is a PR Front for Rich Democrats
"There is good news in the Boston Globe today for the managers, development directors, visionaries, political hacks and propaganda flacks who run 'the Progressive Movement.' More easy-to-earn and easy-to-hide soft money, millions of dollars, will be flowing to them from super rich Democrats and business corporations. It will come clean, pressed and laundered through Organizing for Action, the latest incarnation of the Obama Money Machine which has recently morphed into a 'nonpartisan non-profit corporation' that will ‘strengthen the progressive movement and train our next generation of leaders.’
Does this information concern you? If not, you need to get out of the propaganda bubble of your Progressive Movement echo chamber and think. Think hard. Think about fundamental, radical, democratic, social and economic change, who might bring it about and how? Ask yourself if the rich elite, the 1%, are going to fund that? Leave The Nation and Mother Jones on the shelf; turn off Ed Schultz, Rachel Madow and Chris Hayes; don’t open that barrage of email missives from Alternet, Media Matters, MoveOn, and the other think tanks; and get your head out of the liberal blogosphere for a couple days. Clear your mind and consider this:
The self-labeled Progressive Movement that has arisen over the past decade is primarily one big propaganda campaign serving the political interests of the the Democratic Party’s richest one-percent who created it."
I've been thinking this for a while; nice to see someone else noticing.
For me the interesting thing about all the calls from radical Democratic party-associated groups to punish the fat cats of Wall Street is that it never actually happens, no matter how many Democrats are elected, or how much noise they make about justice.
I can't think of even one person who's actually been indicted, let alone gone to jail for any of the actions that led to the crash of 2008. Instead, most of the 1%ers who did that were bailed out by two successive administrations, leaving all the pain to be borne by the 99%. Progressive friend Paul talks a lot about growing injustice in America. Well, here's our smoking gun of how that keeps happening.
Might be time for the 99% to look more seriously at third parties. Sure they'll lose, at least at first, but how is that different for them from what's happened under both current major parties' 1%ers?
HT Top the News